List:       linux-kbuild
Subject:    Re: potential linking bug in recursive directory descent
From:       Fred Isaman <iisaman () citi ! umich ! edu>
Date:       2009-02-25 1:04:42

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@oracle.com> wrote:
> Fred Isaman wrote:

>>> kbuild only links in libaries if there is any users of siad library.
>>> And your normal config has no users of lib/find_last_bit.c so
>>> it is not linked into the kernel.
>>>

>> I don't understand your comment.  There *is* a user of the library in the
>> (modified) fs/nfs/nfs4proc.c.  The problem is that it doesn't compile unless
>> there is also a user in some fs/*.c.
>
> If you build nfs (or pnfs) into the kernel image instead of as a
> loadable module, does the build succeed?  I expect that it does
> (or would).

Yes, you are correct.

>>> The general rule is that if any in tree module uses a library
>>> then the library is always linked in.
>>> And to always link in a library you need to patch the Makefile
>>> as Randy suggest in his mail.
>>>
>>>        Sam
>>>

>> Again, I suspect I am misunderstanding.  It seems you are suggesting
>> that to compile the nfs code I have to alter lib/Makefile.  While that is a
>> useful workaround, that is certainly not a viable solution.
>
> Why not?  We do that same change for other library options.

I was working under the assumption that, in order to compile nfs, I should
only have to adjust the fs/nfs/Makefile.  You seem to be saying that when
we submit upstream a patch that uses find_last_bit(), if there are no other
in-kernel users at that time, we will have to submit a patch to lib/Makefile,
similar to commit 5a6dca7... lib: move bitmap.o from lib-y to obj-y.
If that is what you mean, I can live with that.

Thanks for your help.

Fred