List:       linux-karma-devel
Subject:    Re: [linux-karma-devel] Tree-based lkarmafs
From:       EV <evidal () iti ! upv ! es>
Date:       2008-01-20 23:47:57

2008-01-20: Bob Copeland dixit:
> [...] In case it helps, this is basically how it is organized:
>
> Each 'directory' has a binary tree (instead of a list) of its
> children. [...] It could look something like:
>
>    /tune +--->  Pink Floyd +---> Dark Side
>                  /  \               / \
>                Abba  \       Animals   The Wall +---> 01-song.mp3
>                       \
>                    Prince +---> Greatest Hits
>
> Kinda confusing and hard to draw in ascii,

Yea! it's really confussing...  I think it was less obscure to me
before seeing this example! ;)

> but if you just think of '->children' as just having a
> directory's immediate children, it should make sense.  I lifted
> the strtok-based lookup from the fuse OMFS so I mostly just
> stuck in a couple of g_tree_(insert/find) calls to get it all
> working.

BTW,  I'm wondering it should not be too difficult to include
both the OMFS and lkarmafs code into a single fuse-based
filesystem that would directly yield the properties-based
directory view...

> After that, the other confusing bit is the data structure
> treats directories and filenames just alike. [...]

Thats is clear to me.  I already though about that long time
ago for a (tree-based) version whith arbritary directories; i.e.,
not (necessarily) associated with RK properties...

> > 2 call it lkarmafs-0.3.0 and keep its development in parallel
> >   with lkarmafs-0.2.*
>
> Yeah this option is probably what I would do.  Or you could be
> even lazier and just make people fetch it from mercurial/git
> (still perhaps in parallel) until you're ready :)

Unless you or other people want to keep working with this, I
prefer to just upload snapshoots to SF from time to time.

Best,
EV.