List:       linux-java
Subject:    GCC 3.0
From:       "Paul F. Kunz" <Paul_Kunz () slac ! stanford ! edu>
Date:       2001-06-23 0:48:21

   I have a Java application that uses the JNI to reach a C++ library
for the compute engine.   Everything has been working fine with
combinations of jdk1.2 thru 1.3.1 and egcs 1.1.2 thru gcc 2.95.3 on
Red Hat Linux 6.1, 6.2, and 7.1

   However, I now want to use gcc 3.0 (released last Monday) for the
C++ code.  I've noted that that the Java run time is linked against
`/usr/liblibstdc++2-libc6.1-1-2.9.0.so' which is what C++ code
compiled with egcs 1.1.2 linked against.  My code compiled with
gcc-3.0 is linked to `/usr/local/test/lib/libstdc++.so.3.0.0'.   I
suspected I would have problems having both versions of libstdc++
dynamically linked in the same application because the C++ ABI has
changed with gcc-3.0.

   Indeed, on the first call to a native method in the application
with jdk 1.3.1 and Red Hat Linux 7.1 I get...

---
An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0x826b66e
Function name=(N/A)
Library=(N/A)

NOTE: We are unable to locate the function name symbol for the error
      just occurred. Please refer to release documentation for
      possible
      reason and solutions.

Current Java thread:
	at hippo.Display.displayList(Native Method)
---
   Is there anything I can do about this?