List:       linux-java
Subject:    Signed applets
From:       Ugo Cei <ugo () fuoriorario ! it>
Date:       1999-03-19 17:58:49

Does anybody have any experience with signing applets? I can't seem to
make it work. Here is more detailed information:

Environment: Linux RH 5.2 (2.0.36)
             Blackdown JDK 1.1.7v1a
             Netscape Communicator 4.5

Problem description: I have written an applet, compiled it and created a
jar file. Since the applet needs to read a file on the client system it
must be signed. I have followed the steps outlined in

http://java.sun.com/security/usingJavakey.html

in order to sign the applet. However, when I load the applet in
Navigator, the Java Console displays the following:

# Error: Invalid Hash of this JAR entry (-7882)
#	jar file: /tmp/jzip36F28FDB0001BB9
#	path:     FileSenderApplet$ButtonHandler.class
# Error: Strange PKCS7 or RSA failure (-7881)
#	jar file: /tmp/jzip36F28FDB0001BB9
#	path:     /tmp/jzip36F28FDB0001BB9
# Error: loading of signatures has failed (-1)
#	jar file: /tmp/jzip36F28FDB0001BB9
#	path:     /home/ugo/work/CBIM/prqa/

and of course the applet throws a SecurityException whenever it tries to
open a local file. I have seen signed applets work in Navigator, so it
must be a problem with my understanding of javakey, but where?

	TIA,
		Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - ugo@fuoriorario.it
Fuori Orario Srl - Galleria Manzoni 15, 27100 Pavia - Italy