List:       linux-java
Subject:    Re: Emacs and java...
From:       Peter Eddy <petere () ziplink ! net>
Date:       1998-07-27 19:59:02

Steve Cohen wrote:

> I have been using SlickEdit (and its successor Visual Slick Edit) on DOS and
> Windows platforms for almost 10 years.  I swear by them.  You can configure it to
> just about any keystroke configuration you wish - vi, emacs, cua, your own
> hybrid.  Plus you get a lot of bells and whistles in it besides the editor itself
> - code beautification, multifile search and replace with regular expressions,

I don't want to start yet another editor war, but I would like to say
that emacs/xemacs can easily do all these things you mention and quite a
bit more.  Emacs is the ultimate configurable editor, however the
configuration language is LISP, which is actually not hard to use after
a short learning curve.

One thing that I use quite often is emacs ability to open files on other
machines.  For example, if I want to edit a file on my work machine I'd
specify a file name like this: /petere@atg.com:~/file.java. I've never
seen this feature in any other editor.