List:       linux-java
Subject:    Re: setting up JAVA_HOME variable
From:       "Vincent S. Cojot" <coyote () step ! polymtl ! ca>
Date:       2002-12-18 9:56:50

Hi all,

Just a quick follow-up on this issue, on RedHat systems (from 6.x and up)
it is usually better to create a file under /etc/profile.d/ (name it
"java_env.sh", the .sh suffix is important ) than to edit /etc/profile.
/etc/profile is a system file included in RedHat's packages. Putting your
settings in new files under /etc/profile.d will make them more resistant
to updates and upgrades of the operating system. Also, if you want
C-shells on the machine to also have JAVA_HOME, simply create an
/etc/profile.d/java_env.csh file with C-shell syntax. I hope this helps.

Vincent S. Cojot, coyote@step.polymtl.ca