List:       linux-java
Subject:    Solved - Re: Segmentation violation (even with ulimit -s 2048)
From:       John Neffenger <john () volano ! com>
Date:       2002-12-02 17:10:30

It turns out the segmentation violations were due to a bug in the Linux
Glibc library.  We applied the following patch on November 6, and our
pure Java server has not crashed since:

   Updated glibc packages fix vulnerabilities in resolver
   https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2002-197.html

We started hitting the problem when we switched DNS servers from our
provider's name servers to a local BIND Version 9.2.1 server (Red Hat's
bind-9.2.1-0.70.2 package).

The tip-off, thanks to Juergen Kreileder, was finding a running Java
thread in the following location on the occasions where the system would
give us a full Java thread dump:

"ThreadName" (TID:0x43576778, sys_thread_t:0x83ca620, state:R) prio=5
at java.net.InetAddressImpl.lookupAllHostAddr(Native Method)
at java.net.InetAddress.getAddressFromNameService(InetAddress.java:619)
at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(InetAddress.java:568)
at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(InetAddress.java:540)
at java.net.InetAddress.getByName(InetAddress.java:467)
at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(InetAddress.java:530)

If you're running Blackdown on Linux and doing DNS requests from your
application, you may want the Glibc fix as well.

John Neffenger