List:       linux-isp
Subject:    Re: MySQL policy or configuration recommendations
From:       Nick Seraphin <nss () homer ! eaglequest ! com>
Date:       1999-03-10 2:43:19

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, dk smith wrote:

> We believe the current configuration has two scenarios for users. Is it
> safe to add the specific user's tables under the main mysql database? Or is
> it better to create a new database for the user wherein the user has
> mysql_root privileges for the one database-root-thingy created for them.

By *no means* should you be putting other tables in the mysql database!
That's strictly for administration and access priviledges!

You should never have anything in the "mysql" database except the default
tables that it installs (user, host, db?).

For your own internal databases, you should create a separate database.
And, for any customers, definitely put each customer in their own
database.  This gives them their own permissions, their own
files/directory, etc.

Create a database for each customer.  Give them the ability to create/drop
tables in that database only, and to select/update/insert/delete/etc from
the tables in that database only.  Always password protect everything,
*and* use hostmasks and ipmasks as much as practical.

MySQL is a great tool...  I've been tempted to offer this to my customers
because of it's speed and flexibility, but I've never had anyone ask for
database hosting on their web sites.

I recommend, if possible and affordable, to set up a separate computer as
a "customer database server".  This way all customer data is on a separate
machine, if the web machine crashes, the database doesn't go down, it's
better security (no one but admins should have shell access on the
database machine), and everyone can access it via the network with no
problem.

-- Nick

Nick Seraphin					nick@eaglequest.com
President					http://www.eaglequest.com/
EagleQuest, Inc.				(248) 650-4700
Internet Access Services			Rochester, Michigan