List:       linux-ipsec
Subject:    [Users] Same IP-Range in the subnets???
From:       Marc Bujack <bujack () oberberg ! net>
Date:       2001-05-30 19:37:56

Hi,
I have got a problem with a IPSec-tunnel:
In the configuration i must make it work again, the IP-Spache of the
Left-Subnet is a part of the Right-Subnet.

Left:
eth0: 121.235.1.2/30 (extern)
eth1: 172.16.16.0/24 (intern)
lnh: 121.235.1.1/30

Right:
eth0: 121.232.161.2/30 (extern)
eth1 172.16.0.0/16 (!) (intern)
rnh: 121.232.161.1/30

Both sides can ping each other (eth0 <-> eth0).

Right shows no route to 172.16.16.0, the only ipsec0 entry is connected to
121.235.1.2.
If i delete the route and add a network route (route add -net 172.16.16.0
netmask 255.255.255.0 dev ipsec0) an route -n shows the correct
routing-entry but it does not work.

The configuration has worked (sysadmin left the company)! But after someone
switched off the firewall ("ups, the system was running...", left side)
left-subnet cannot ping (traceroute, ...) right-subnet. I think, it's a
routing-problem. I have tried various possibilities in which order i start
ipsec, routing, firewall, ... but nothing worked.

Any idea?

System: SuSE 6.x, FreeSWan 1.5

Thanx
Marc