List:       linux-ipsec
Subject:    Re: Last gasp - nearly there - but probs with uploads
From:       bhepple () bit ! net ! au
Date:       2001-03-31 11:42:47

bhepple@bit.net.au wrote:

> I'm soooo close to getting Freeswan working. Can anyone cast any light
> on my remaining problem with FreeSwan?
>
> I can connect to the remote network, rlogin, rcp down to my local
> machine - but I still can't rcp/scp/rsync back to the remote. In short,
> I can send and receive small packets but with big packets I can only
> receive.

Well I seem to have fixed it by using ifconfig to set the mtu on ipsec0
to a value less than the mtu on the ppp0 line. Thanks to Henry Spencer
for the suggestion.

There was another chap who suggested something similar a while back when
I first posted my problem - but being daft, I misunderstood - I thought
he was talking about ppp over ip. Also, there is something in the
trouble-shooting guide about this which I had seen but misapplied - I
had only thought of reducing the mtu on the ppp line and did not imagine
that I should have been doing it to the ipsec0 line. Duh! or what? Oh
well, perhaps the trouble shooting guide needs to spell it out for
dumbkopfs like me.

For the record, ipsec0 had an mtu of 16260 and I reduced it to 1300 for
success. ppp0 had mtu=1412. Setting ipsec0 mtu=1412 gave no joy - there
seems to be a need for an extra bit of room (extra headers?) on the
ipsec0 line. There again, shouldn't the code work all this out for
itself?

Well, live and learn - freeswan rocks!

Cheers

Bob