List:       linux-ipsec
Subject:    Re: linux-ipsec: _confread x_foo not just x-foo
From:       Henry Spencer <henry () spsystems ! net>
Date:       2000-07-31 18:25:17

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, John Denker wrote:
>   -- variables with names beginning in x- or X- are exempt.
> However:  I hereby suggest that variable names beginning with x_ and X_
> also be exempt.  Reason:  It is useful...

Sounds reasonable to me.  Done.  Snapshot requested.

> 1.1) Rather than fixing those two lines, maybe it would be better to create
> a structured reference....  I'm allergic to duplication of code.

Agreed; this decision has now been centralized.

> 2) By the way, experiments indicate that the preliminary part of the .conf
> file known as "basic configuration" (i.e. before any conn sections) is not
> checked for unknown variable names...

Detailed checks are not done on a section that's not relevant to the
particular request.  In particular, for connection-related requests, the
"config setup" section is examined only to the extent needed to verify
that it's a well-formed section (which is necessary to parsing the file).
The same is true of "conn" sections which aren't involved in the
particular request.

> It might be nice to check
> this;  misspellings there are at least as serious as misspellings later.

You need to do something like an "ipsec setup restart" to determine
whether checking is being done on "config setup".  If you do, you'll find
that it is.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net