List:       linux-ipsec
Subject:    [Users] Samba over VPN ridiculous payload
From:       Nicolas Bouthors <nbouthors () ghs ! fr>
Date:       2002-10-18 11:59:33

Hi,

I have setup a VPN between home and work. The tunnel works fine with max
transfer rate equal to the max upload of the sending side (ie normal).

When i transfer a file over HTTP, FTP or SCP, the tunnel bandwitdh is
"fully" used by the data transfer, I get normal download times. But when
I transfer the same file over smb, the transfer rate is ridiculously
small while the tunnel's bandwith is fully used.

It looks like smb packets traversing the tunnel contain a lot of
overhead reducing the effective payload of the link down to epsilon.

Did anybody experience this problem ? What do I have to change
(regarding samba, or the tunnel) to have decent transfer rates ?

Thanks,
    Nicolas Bouthors

--
nicolas@bouthors.org -- http://nicolas.bouthors.org/ -- +33 6 2071 6234
Administateur Systèmes et Réseaux   --    GHS    --    38, Rue du Texel