List:       linux-ipchains
Subject:    Re: [Ipchains] PATCH: ipchains, support for dynamic ftp-data-connection rules
From:       Paul Rusty Russell <Paul.Russell () rustcorp ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-05-22 6:46:28

In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.9905212145360.30375-100000@Benjy> you write:
> On Sat, 22 May 1999, Paul Rusty Russell wrote:
>
> > Is the temperature in hell dropping?
>
> I've no idea what it means, but I suppose it's an insult. Well, if that is
> your way...

Hi Michael,

	Sorry for the misunderstanding.  No, it wasn't an insult.  I
had previously said ipchains will do stateful filtering in the kernel
when Hell freezes over (a quaint English expression, meaning never).
I apologize that my attempt at humour backfired...

> I know it doesn't really belong there and that with the old code there
> cannot be a clean solution. So what?
>
> 2nd, so there's another solution. Again, so what?

My point is that it has already been solved without any kernel
modifications.  Even though the SPF solution is not ideal, I believe
it is a neater solution (and it solves more than this single
problem).  Even if both solutions were equally ugly, I'd prefer the
one in userspace.

Your patch is clever: it is the cleanest in-kernel solution I can
think of.  But I still don't like it much; I'll put it in my contrib
area.

Rusty.
--
Tridge, Raster, DaveM, Cort, maddog... Where will you be 9-11 July 1999?
                http://www.linux.org.au/projects/calu

www.rustcorp.com - web site
ftp.rustcorp.com - ftp site

Mail Archives: