List:       linux-ipchains
Subject:    Re: [Ipchains] Allowing FTP access...
From:       Michael Hasenstein <mha () suse ! de>
Date:       1999-05-20 14:18:46

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Neale Banks wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 1999, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>
> [...]
> > > If this isn't the case, is
> > > there a way to allow FTP connections to ftpserver without opening up
> > > ALL
> > > of the upper ports?
> >
> > Yup.  Use my SPF stateful packet filter.
> > ftp://ftp.interlinx.bc.ca/pub/spf
>
> Alternativelty, can one selectively masq only ftp, and use masq_ftp(?) to
> handle the data channel?

Alternatively, you can wait for my ipchains-patch that I wrote yesterday
and today. With it you can completely disable everything you normally need
for ftp-data connections. It will scan for PORT-commans in
ftp-connections, and temporarily add a dynamic rule for that one specific
ftp-data connection. These rules will time out like just like masquerading
rules. It works very well so far.

--
Michael Hasenstein
http://www.csn.tu-chemnitz.de/~mha/