List:       linux-ipchains
Subject:    [ipchains] packet rates and ipchains error??
From:       Arni Raghu <arni () snafu ! Rutgers ! EDU>
Date:       1999-04-27 15:09:46

Hi,

I am using ipchains as a simple packet accounting tool..

I run "ipchains -A input -p udp -s 10.0.1.1 -j ACCEPT" at 10.0.3.1

Then I run a tool called ttcp(very powerful and reliable public domain
tool). ttcp can throw packets out at configurable rates from 10.0.1.1 to
10.0.3.1

then using a simple shell script that runs every 1 sec I run "ipchains
-x -v -L input" at 10.0.3.1, obviously the rates at which the packets
are entering my Linux box are the differences between the two values in
two consecutive seconds...

At low rates this(around 1 MB) method seems to work..and ttcp and
ipchains give the same results, but as I increase the rates the results
detiorate and I seem to be getting low speeds from ipachins results
unlike ttcp which gives me the right results..

any suggestion of as to how I can improve this please..??

Thanks,
Arni

www.rustcorp.com - web site
ftp.rustcorp.com - ftp site