List:       linux-ipchains
Subject:    Re: [ipchains] ipchains version 1.3.6 released!
From:       Paul Rusty Russell <Paul.Russell () rustcorp ! com ! au>
Date:       1998-10-22 5:27:51

In message <362CA52E.7C3ABD7@afterlife.ncsc.mil> you write:
> When you release a new version of ipchains (the userspace
> tool), is there a change to the kernel part as well?

No.  I regard the kernel part as locked in stone since it went into
the official kernel ('cept bug-fixes); doubly so since the freeze.

> I believe that the last few releases were just the userspace
> part.  That seems strange to me, since I'd expect the application
> of the rules (in the kernel) to be the trickiest, and subject to
> more fixes.

Kernel changes go straight to Linus, Dave or Alexey, and there have
been a few (off the top of my head, the inverse rule fix, the
masqerading timeouts fix, and lately the reject-on-output fix).  None
of these have been a security problem or core to the packet
examination code.  ipchains is also very stable; the 1.3.6 version of
ipchains has one trivial bug fix only, and if I hadn't wanted to
rearrange the code for better reuse by others, I would have stayed
with 1.3.5.

> I'm using Linux 2.0.34.  I don't see any version number
> of yours on that kernel's patch.  Would it be appropriate for
> you to supply such a number, or does this patch never change?

It shouldn't change.  I don't really like the 2.0 patches, but they
were necessary to get a wider testing base, and I am obliged to keep
them up-to-date.

Rusty.
--
 .sig lost in the mail.