List:       linux-integrity
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] IMA gadgets
From:       Mimi Zohar <zohar () linux ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2021-12-28 16:13:11

On Tue, 2021-12-28 at 18:39 +0300, Vitaly Chikunov wrote:
> Mimi,
>
> JFYI, there was a small discussion in oss-security [1] about IMA. Yes,
> it does not touch EVM in case of SUID. But the fact that filenames are
> never tracked in IMA/EVM does look like a major problem indeed.
>
> Thanks,

Thanks, Vitaly, for forwarding the oss-security link to the discussion.

When I responded in a different thread[1], I mentioned protecting file
metadata is not IMA's responsibility, but EVM's.  I left out mentioning
file signatures provide provenance, which a hash does not.

As for the filename not being protected, that is a known issue as well,
which was discussed at 2018 Linux Storage, Filesystem, and Memory-
Management Summit [2].  Dmitry Kasatkin years ago proposed protecting
the directory structure, but that support was limited to the first
directory level, not all the way up to the tree root.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/kernel-hardening/e91d238422f8df139acf84cc2df6ddb4fd300b87.camel@linux.ibm.com/
 [2] https://lwn.net/Articles/753276/  (2nd to last paragraph).

thanks,

Mimi