List:       linux-input
Subject:    Re: Logitech MX5500 Bluetooth mouse middle 'button' does not work
From:       "jonsmirl () gmail ! com" <jonsmirl () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-29 21:37:15

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Eric Paris <eparis@parisplace.org> wrote:
> I'm running an up2date version of Fedora 16 (I am completely input
> clueless so have no idea what might be relevant, please tell me what I
> can supply).
>
> kernel-3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64
> xorg-x11-server-common-1.11.4-1.fc16.x86_64
>
> I just got a new Logitech MX5500 bluetooth keyboard mouse combo.  I
> had no problem at all getting them recognized and connected using the
> built in bluetooth on my Lenovo X200 laptop.  My problem is with the
> middle mouse 'button.'  On all of my other mice clicking the scroll
> wheel acted as a middle button.  On this new mouse it makes a noise
> like a 'click' but it doesn't do anything.  I launched evtest and see
> events for everything on the mouse (it has a thumb scroll whell, extra
> buttons, all sorts of stuff) but it gives no event for 'click'ing the
> scroll wheel. (I do see events for scrolling the scroll wheel)
>
> So, what can I do, try, collect, give, test, code, whatever to figure
> out if my mouse just wasn't supposed to have have a middle mouse click
> (aka return this PoS because I need fast cut and paste).  Figure out
> if just this one particular mouse has a broken button (aka replace
> this mouse) or if really it's a driver problem.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated!

It has never worked as far as I know. The middle button on the mouse
reports as device 0 which the input layer is not expecting. I gave up
trying to get it to work.

This makes the back button near your thumb work as the middle button:
/usr/bin/xinput set-button-map "Logitech MX Revolution Mouse" 1 2 3 4 5 6 2 2

I have it in .bashrc but it really should be in a udev script. The
mouse occasionally disconnects/reconnect. In udev the command would
get automatically reapplied.

BTW, it you plug the mouse in under Windows and program the middle
button to behave like a middle button, it will work until you forget
to charge the mouse. Then you have to put it back on Windows and
reprogram the button.

> -Eric
> --

Jon Smirl