List:       linux-informix
Subject:    RE: advertising on RH's site
From:       Michael Segel <mikey () profit ! Segel ! COM>
Date:       1999-07-29 22:26:01

Carlton scrawled :
> On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Kevyn Schneider wrote:
>
> > Case in point,
> > www.redhat.com sports a nifty little Oracle add on it.  I don't see Informix
> > anywhere...  It bites that Informix isn't in first place, especially since
> > they were the first ones out of the gate.  Is that Oracle's fault?  Heck,
> > Informix handed them the 1st Place ribbon on a silver platter.  Instead of
> > changing their logo, Informix needs to change their mindset (and perhaps key
> > staffing).
>
> For quite some time, Informix and their logo were the "spot lighted" vendor
> on RH's site with links to the IDS port download.
>
> At the San Diego conference, Diane Fraiman talked about Informix's marketing
> plans including, BTW, TV advertisements.  I would expect to see a lot of
> stuff, including web buys, hit in the next couple of weeks when the new
> products actually roll out the door.

Well first,
Oracle invested major bucks into RedHat, along with IBM et al.
They will make a decent ROI when the IPO hits.

So don't expect RedHat to play favorites to Informix.

As to Informix's marketing,
well, lets say that there is definately room for improvement.
(And yes, I'm being kind. ;-)

As to the Linux marketplace,
It looks like Informix's growth has flattened. Don't expect Informix's growth on
Linux to match the growth of Linux. By this I mean, just because Linux is
growing at an annual rate of 30%, don't expect Informix to grow at the same
rate. (30% is just an example.)

As to the TV advertisements, since we don't know when the commercials will air,
the odds are we will miss them.

Did anyone at Informix get a clue and set up both Quicktime and RealNetworks
feeds from their web site? (Somehow I doubt it.)

-Mikey