List:       linux-informix
Subject:    Re: Pricing Amazement
From:       "F. Fernandez" <ferdez () despodata ! pt>
Date:       1999-07-23 16:44:11

Kurt Wall wrote:
> For Linux, according to JBS Distribution, the pricing is
> $99/user        for IDS - no sure of min # of users but it might be 5
> $300/user       for runtime 4gl rds - min of 5 users
> $180/user       for runtime sql - no min
> So a 5 user kit is $2900 US (or $4250 cdn).  What a joke.

Yes. What's the point of making the "effort" to sell a good DBMS cheap
if the tools used by current users are so expensive? Targeting only new
users? Maybe...

What this means is that we must start to think about new development
tools since Informix is not thinking about adapting 4GL to the real
world. Around here, we are shifting to Java & Perl on Linux...

The days of milking 4GL for money may be coming to an end, by the
hands of Informix itself.

Fernando
--
Fernando Fernandez