List:       linux-informix
Subject:    Re: Some Pix
From:       Michael Segel <mikey () profit ! Segel ! COM>
Date:       1998-09-06 22:44:13

Kurt wrote:
> Too bad Oracle beat Informix to the punch on the
> annoncement of support for Linux, although Informix got the
> product out the door first. ;-)
>
> Kurt

Uhmm, not exactly.
Oracle promised Oracle 8, their flagship product.
Somehow  SE isn't the match for Oracle's product.
Nor, is Oracle8 a match for Informix's Online.
(Ooh! Now comes the Oracle vs Informix debate ;-)

The point being, that Tim's .sig isn't true, nor
has Informix made a commitment to Linux, until they
commit to shipping Online. Which, BTW, they haven't.
(If anyone can show me the press where Informix commits
to shipping Online, I'd appreciate it. I am basing my
comments on Saranga's comments in Computerworld.)

Sorry if I seem a bit down, but until Informix gets Online
ported, then Linux is still a third class citizen in the
Informix world. (I'm looking for Informix to treat Linux
as a second class citizen.)

BTW, can anyone release the download stats or if there are
actual sales of Linux licenses yet? I'd suspect that Kent McNall (?sp?)
would have his products shipping, or is he and everyone else
waiting for a glibc port?

-Mikey