List:       linux-ide
Subject:    Re: [kekcsibe@gmail.com: PROBLEM: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-112D does not
From:       Robert Hancock <hancockrwd () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-01-29 19:43:05

On 01/28/2010 10:48 PM, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> Hi Skrabák,
>
> I'm forwarding your mail to linux-ide where all those issues should be
> reported. Also, it would be helpful if you sent the whole dmesg output
> of the failing kernel.
>
> Reattaching your files too.
>
> Thanks.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Skrabak Csaba<kekcsibe@gmail.com>  -----
>
> From: Skrabak Csaba<kekcsibe@gmail.com>
> To: Borislav Petkov<petkovbb@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 04:27:08 +0100
> Subject: PROBLEM: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-112D does not work since linux 2.6.29
>
> Dear Maintainer,
>
> I have found your e-mail address in the MAINTAINERS file of the linux
> kernel 2.6.32.6 source.
>
> I have a problem getting my DVD recorder working. I have been using
> 2.6.22 with no problem at all. Later I have tried 2.6.29, which
> produced funny issues: booting up netinstaller CD worked just fine,
> but when coming to loading the drivers, DVD stopped working, so it
> could not install the packages. I also tried a Windows XP install CD,
> which also booted fine, but after installing, Windows could not use
> the drive. I kept on using the old 2.6.22 linux. But the newest
> versions of udev and other packages found in Debian unstable
> repositories don't seem to be compatible any longer with my old but
> working kernel. So I decided to try if the problem has been fixed in
> 2.6.32.6 and my DVD drive could work again like it does with 2.6.22.
> Now I experience the same problems, which in detail are:
>
> Mount outputs attached dvd.txt and does not mount. Gnome also does not
> mount CD-ROM Device (shows error message).

> Can it be that my DVD drive has in fact a minor defect, but the old
> 2.6.22 kernel driver just overlooked that? Were there any changes in
> the driver since then that could make the driver pickier? Can I do
> something to overcome it (maybe a config parameter, fstab corrections,
> udev reconfiguration) or must I wait until a new kernel version comes?
>
> Using web search I found plenty of questions dealing with the same
> error message but all they could answer was that the DVD was dead. But
> it is definitely not.
>
> Please tell me if you know something that or somebody who could help
> me solving my problem.

Here's your output:

kazimir:~# mount /cdrom
sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : 0x5 [current]
sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] <<vendor>> ASC=0xa8 ASCQ=0x1ASC=0xa8 ASCQ=0x1
sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: cdb[0]=0x28: 28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 02 00
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 64
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 8

The kernel tried to read some sectors off the disk (command 0x28) and
the drive returned an error. ASC of 0xa8 is a vendor-specific error
code, so only Pioneer can likely say what that error means.

You're sure that 2.6.22 is still able to successfully access this drive?
Any unusual dmesg output there?

  The fact that it doesn't seem to work properly in Windows either does
seem to suggest a drive fault.