List:       linux-ide
Subject:    Re: pata_via cd/dvd timeout problems
From:       Vlad <vladc6 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2007-09-05 0:40:26

Hi,

> I have both a dvd RW drive & a cd rom drive connected
> the second ide interface on my motherboard with a via
> chipset, using pata_via I see timeout messages in the
> log & after some time both drives lockup and are
> unable to mount any disks.

I would suggest trying the following things:

1) Add both drives ("_NEC DVD_RW ND-3520" and "TSSTcorpDVD-ROM
TS-H352A") to ata_device_blacklist in drivers/ata/libata-core.c using
the ATA_HORKAGE_NODMA and ATA_HORKAGE_MAX_SEC_128 keywords and then
recompile the kernel.

2) Move the CD and DVD RW drives to a computer with another chipset to
determine whether they or the chipset are to blame.

Vlad