List:       linux-ide
Subject:    Re: IDE kernel traces in 2.6.9 - Bad IRQ ?
From:       Phil Dibowitz <phil () ipom ! com>
Date:       2004-10-31 19:14:10

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Phil Dibowitz wrote:

>>> I just upgraded my computer, compiled a new kernel appropriately, and
>>> I'm getting a ton of kernel issues surrounding the IDE driver. I
>>> tried a generic debian kernel as well, but same issue. Here are the
>>> tracebacks I get during boot:
>>>
>>> Oct 30 15:56:19 rider kernel: ide0 at 0xefe0-0xefe7,0xefae on irq 5
>>> Oct 30 15:56:19 rider kernel: hda: max request size: 128KiB
>>

>> So, it turns out if I change the IDE Configuration in my BIOS to be
>> "Compatible mode" instead of "Enhanced Mode", this is fixed
>> completely. All my drives work flawelessly.
>>
>> Any idea what, if any, features I'm missing, or how to make linux work
>> with "enhanced mode" ?
>

> Sounds like you're not using CONFIG_SCSI_SATA for your SATA?

Erm. That's possible -- I have an SATA controller on the new board, but
I don't have any SATA drives, so I didn't compile the promise driver or
anything else for SATA...

Thanks, I'll look into that.

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@ipom.com
Freeware and Technical Pages              Insanity Palace of Metallica

  - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

-