List:       linux-ibcs2
Subject:    Re: Problems with terminal emulator.
From:       Otto E Solares <solca () fisicc-ufm ! edu>
Date:       2000-02-03 1:33:45

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 07:06:58PM -0500, Brian K. White wrote:
> Davide Dozza wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I would like to thank Keith, Brian and Steve for the help.
> >
> > After I solved BBX3 problems with linux console, all seems
> > to work correctly. Now the problem is on the terminal emulation.
> >
> > I am trying to use netterm (telnet) under W9x to connect to the
> > application.
> > In order to provide the correct configuration to BBX3 I had to recompile
> > the kernel to disable /dev/pts filesystem. In this way old /dev/ttypX
> > are
> > used instead of /dev/pts/X that are not correctly managed (I think
> > by the iBCS module).
> > Now the problem is that when I use linbbx TERMCAP as suggested by Keith
> > for linux console or ansi or scoansi, characters are correctly displayed
> > but for particular masks the first line is overwritten by the second
> > producing
> > a mismatch with the cursor position. When I use vt100 or linux terminal
> > this behaviour does not happen but characters are not completely
> > displayed.
> > Apart mask characters that are not very significant, the biggest problem
> > is
> > represented by function keys F1,F2,etc. that are not anymore
> > associated with the original function.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestion?
> >
> > Davide
>
> this is just too involved. You need to create a custom termcap for each and
> every terminal you want to use. a new windows telnet program equals a new
> terminal, regarless of the fact that it may claim to emulate "vt100" or "ansi"
> I'd have to write for hours to describe all the ins and outs of creating a
> termcap (and then a terminfo) entry.
>
> If you do know mostly what to do then here are two things to help gather the
> info needed to fill out a new termcap
>
> 1) download http://www.squonk.net/users/linut/linux "asciichart" the earliest
> version if on linux, to see what all the characters available in your terminal
> are.
> this is so you can redefine the graphics characters.
>
> at a shell prompt, hit CTRL-V then press an F-key. this shows you what your
> terminal sends when you press that F-key. redefine or add that fkey in the
> termcap to match. Do the same for all the f-keys. you can use this for some of
> the other keys that are often mis-defined too, like backspace, insert, etc...
> but some still cannot be viewed this way, like delete, if that happens to be
> currently defined as the break key for that terminal (often ^C or ^D or
> ^-backspace or \003 or \177)
> If nothing shows up after pressing for example CTRL-V F1, then the terminal is
> not transmitting anything for F1. The terminal will need to be configured to
> transmit something for that key somehow.
>
> have fun. :)
> If you happen to be geographically located within a few hunderd miles of
> [...]

Hi,

i have like three years running SVR3 application's on linux using
the iBCS module and now that people are commenting on termcap/terminfo
i would apreciate if somebody can give me advise on the
following:

i always run the application on a virtual console on linux but i
like the idea of running it on the X.  When i was implementing the
emulation i have to make my own entry on terminfo and export it to
termcap with infocmp. The problem is that the application got
hardwired the key-info so in the console i use loadkeys SVR4.map
with a modified version of SVR4.map and all works fine. How can i
do this on the X so my app can work on a xterm or xterm-like?

Thank you very much,

-otto