List:       linux-ia64
Subject:    Re: [RFC] virtual memmap for sparsemem [1/2] arch independent part
From:       KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu () jp ! fujitsu ! com>
Date:       2006-11-21 12:19:37

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:37:08 +0100
Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@de.ibm.com> wrote:

> > Todo
> > - fix vmalloc() case in memory hotadd. (maybe __get_vm_area() can be used.)
>
> Better late than never, but here is a reply as well :)

Thank you for comment.
I'm now stopping this because of piles of user troubles and Excels and Words ;)

> Is this supposed to replace ia64's vmem_map?
No. my aim is just to speed-up sparsemem. ia64/sparsemem's page_to_pfn()
pfn_to_page() is costly.

> I'm asking because on s390 we need a vmem_map too, but don't want to be
> limited by the sparsemem restrictions (especially SECTION_SIZE that is).
> In addition we have a shared memory device driver (dcss) with which it
> is possible to attach some shared memory. Because of that it is
> necessary to be able to add some additional struct pages on-the-fly.
> This is not very different to memory hotplug; I think it's even easier,
> since all we need are some initialized struct pages.
>
> Currently I have a working prototype that does all that but still needs
> a lot of cleanup and some error handling. It is (of course) heavily
> inspired by ia64's vmem_map implementation.
>
> I'd love to go for a generic implementation, but if that is based on
> sparsemem it doesn't make too much sense on s390.

'What type of vmem_map is supported ?' is maybe per-arch decision not generic.
If people dislikes Flat/Discontig/Sparsemem complication, some clean
up patch will be posted and discussion will start. If not, nothing will happen.

-Kame

-