List:       linux-ia64
Subject:    Re: Add full memory fence for test_and_*_bit operation
From:       Grant Grundler <iod00d () hp ! com>
Date:       2006-03-29 1:44:40

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 04:49:24PM -0800, Chen, Kenneth W wrote:
> OK, semi-big-hammer to enforce full memory fence on ia64 for
> test_and_set_bit
> test_and_clear_bit
> test_and_change_bit
>
> It's sad we don't have something like:
>
> test_and_set_bit_used_like_a_lock

Normally the arch specific (e.g. __set_bit or __raw_readl) provide
different semantics than the "portable" versions (e.g set_bit and readl).
Can folks who know what they are doing can use arch specific versions
at the expense of portability?

I expect the driver to compile and work correctly on all arches,
it will just be a bit more of a PITA to maintain.

grant
-