List:       linux-ia64
Subject:    Re: Allow to change SD_NODES_PER_DOMAIN at configuration or boot
From:       Xavier Bru <xavier.bru () bull ! net>
Date:       2005-02-17 11:05:00

Nick Piggin wrote:

>Right. It may make more sense to have the setup based on some
>maximum distance between nodes. Eg. all nodes less than distance
>10 away from node0 are to be in node0's first level NUMA domain
>(the next level is always global, IIRC).
>
>Then you would still need some configuration option, but it would
>appear to be a more useful metric to use.

Hello Nick & all,
Do you mean that there should ever be only one NUMA sched-domain level ?
On a 2x4x4 cpus machine, we could in theory have  SD_NODES_PER_DOMAIN=4,
thus providing a 2 level NUMA sched-domain (domain 0 spans 4 cpus,
domain 1 spans 16, domain 2 is global and spans 32).
But it is true that this configuration does not show evident performance
gains upon SD_NODES_PER_DOMAIN=8 (domain 0 spans 4 cpus, domain 1 is
global and spans 32), at least on parallel compilation of the kernel.
Providing SD_NODES_PER_DOMAIN as a boot parameter was also intended to
choose between a multilevel sched-domains or not.

--

	Sincères salutations.

["xavier.bru.vcf" (xavier.bru.vcf)]

begin:vcard
fn:Xavier Bru
n:Bru;Xavier
adr:;;1 rue de Provence, BP 208;Echirolles;;38432 Cedex;France
email;internet:Xavier.Bru@bull.net
title:BULL/DT/Open Software/linux/ia64
tel;work:+33 (0)4 76 29 77 45
tel;fax:+33 (0)4 76 29 77 70