List:       linux-ia64
Subject:    Re: HUGEPAGE SIZE a boottime option
From:       Chris Wedgwood <cw () f00f ! org>
Date:       2004-02-22 5:27:59

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 11:36:38AM -0800, Seth, Rohit wrote:

> Ken is currently in the process of providing the support for boot
> time configuration for huge page size.

What's wrong with Jack's patch?

> As long as there are only two supported page sizes (PAGE_SIZE and
> HPAGE_SIZE), it is possible to achieve the boot time configuration
> of HUGE_PAGE_SIZE without needing to patch the kernel (and possibly
> better packing the vhpt fault handler code).  We will ship the patch
> out to the list.

Jack's code doesn't have this limitation.  IMO it's a more sane way to
go.  Why should people be restricted to a limited set (two) of
hugepage sizes?  This seems especially important for vendor kernels
where people want to use the same kernel across a variety of different
machines.

-