List:       linux-ia64
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ia64] Re: Reiserfs (was: Re: __ia64_syscall ?)
From:       Martin Wilck <Martin.Wilck () fujitsu-siemens ! com>
Date:       2001-07-26 16:30:53

> Why does an *endian* patch make reiserfs work on ia64, when
> ia64 is little endian like x86?
>
> Bill, genuinely curious...

I don't know - it works for me, at least I have seen no data corruption
yet.

What the patch does is introduce generic disk<->cpu conversion macros
everywhere. My guess is that they not only provide correct endianness,
but also fix other machine-dependent type issues.

Try it, and call me whatever you want if it fails.

Martin

--
Martin Wilck     <Martin.Wilck@fujitsu-siemens.com>
FSC EP PS DS1, Paderborn      Tel. +49 5251 8 15113