List:       linux-hotplug
Subject:    RE: Linux PCI bus numbering algorithm
From:       Rajat Jain <rajatjain () juniper ! net>
Date:       2010-02-24 3:52:44

Hello Greg,

> What specific platform is this?  Have you looked at the kernel code
that
> does this?

This is a customized MPC8572 platform for which I'll be doing the
firmware. I need to do these PCI bus numberings, and thus want to know
how would have Linux have done it. Trusting that the Linux PCI bus
numbering would have been arrived at using a good algorithm, I plan to
borrow same idea in my code...

> > 1) Does Linux reserve & leave apart certain bus numbers at each PCI
> > bridge -in anticipation of new PCI cards (containing PCI bridges) to
be
> > hot-lugged later on to that location? If yes, how many bus numbers
does
> > it reserve at each bridge?
>
> No, this is up to the BIOS/PCI controller interface (like ACPI).  See
> the PCI spec for details as to why this is so.

This would be a PPC platform on which there is no BIOS or the ACPI...
:-(

Thanks,

Rajat Jain

for