List:       linux-hotplug
Subject:    Re: Need help to get udev/hotplug working for extra module	inearly2.6
From:       Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki () meinberg ! de>
Date:       2008-07-17 14:27:36

Greg,

Greg KH wrote:
> ..., we rely on the kernel to provide the events and act apon them,
> that's the whole point of the model.

Yes, however it may be possible that in recent kernels a certain kernel
API function e.g. class_device_create() creates a device object and also
generates an udev event whereas in older kernels you had to call 2
kernel API functions.

I'm maintaining our driver for many years now and remember the basic
improvements over the years, or limitations of older versions. Since
some of you guys here are also involved in the development of udev and
kernel drivers I was hoping someone could just give me a raw hint what
needed to be done with the older kernel API which isn't required nowadays.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren