List:       linux-hotplug
Subject:    Re: not all volume types export UUIDs (was: /dev/disk/by-id
From:       Kay Sievers <kay.sievers () vrfy ! org>
Date:       2008-07-05 12:32:23

On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 13:55 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@vrfy.org> [2008.07.03.1736 +0200]:
> > Sure, symlinks based on filesystem metadata are the way to go here.
> > Usually the fs UUID is used in fstab and such, and works pretty well.
>
> Iff there is a UUID for the contents of the partition.

Sure, that's obvoius. I kind of miss the point of this conversation now.
Blindly removing the prefixes for id's which are not unique otherwise,
and usually not even the same across buses for the same device, seems
not a reasonable solution to me.
Care to explain your ideas again, and give examples for real hardware
you have, and base it on the answers/question in this thread?

Thanks,
Kay