List:       linux-hotplug
Subject:    Exectuing a script from the rules file
From:       <shankoo77 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2007-12-11 13:26:26

Hi,
 I'm new to writing rules and have a question on
calling a shell script from the rules file. Whenever a
USB device is  attached or removed I need to write the
ACTION, Vendor Id and Product Id in a text file.

1) I don't know how to pass these information to the
shell script from the rules file.

So I started with just calling a script that prints a
string in a temporary file. The following is the
script

#!/bin/sh
echo "The Vendor id is" >> /tmp/debug_out

2) When I try to run the script with "RUN" keyword it
never gets executed when I plug in a USB device. But
the kernel has detected the USB device and prints out
appropriate messages.

I created a 10-udev.rules file in the
/etc/udev/rules.d directory. The following is the rule

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", RUN="/root/2.sh"

Can some one please let me know where am I going
wrong.

Warm Regards,
Shankar