List:       linux-hotplug
Subject:    Re: Trying to compile udev + libsysfs
From:       linas () austin ! ibm ! com (linas)
Date:       2006-01-12 17:52:45

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 01:33:20PM +0100, Wolfgang Klein was heard to remark:

> Like I told you before: if I waited for SuSE to update the kernel
> version I would still be stuck with kernel 2.6.4 or something.

2.6.5 actually. However, that kernel has hundreds of patches applied,
including backports from a variety of stuff that went into 2.6.6
thorugh 2.6.15.  The other potential advantage is that (for the
hardware that I work with) it gets far more testing than the mainline
kernel. Specifically, there are entire depts of people here at IBM
whose only job is to stress-test the SUSE kernels into oblivion on
the entire spectrum of IBM hardware, old and new. By contrast, any
testing of mainline is haphazard, being the effort of a few kernel
developers hacking on a few boxes.  e.g.  right now, I'm working on
a bug in today's mainline, which was never a bug in SUSE.

I suspect the same is true for other big hardware vendors (HP, etc)
but probably not for misc retail white-box PC's.

--linas