List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] Resource Monitoring
From:       Alan Robertson <alanr () unix ! sh>
Date:       2001-08-28 19:37:47

"Luis Claudio R. Goncalves" wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 09:07:18AM -0600, Alan Robertson wrote:
> | Juri Haberland wrote:
> |

> | > If you use mon for monitoring it is (kind of) also your cluster manager.
> |
> | Karunakar is trying to develop an integrated monitoring system that knows
> | how to monitor without any further configuration.  It would become part of
> | the linux-ha package.
> |
> | > But that's not the point here...
> |
> | Right ;-)
>
>    Another good question is: what the resource monitoring tool needs to
> know about heartbeat, nodes and resources? Is the API ready to supply all
> this information?

I think at this point in time, he's just planning on reading the haresources
file.

Here's the problem as I've defined it to him at this time:

	For each resource supported by the current machine,
	monitor it

So, one needs to know what the total list of resources is, and one needs to
	know what resources are running on the current machine.

And then, one needs to monitor them.

As a suggestion for the first approach, I've suggested that he just
read haresources, and then ask the resource if it's running on the current
machine, and then monitor it.

You're right that doing it through the API would be nicer, then
one could do things like keep resources in transition from being monitored.

Perhaps we can add that as we move the resource management out of
heartbeat.  Could do it now, but I don't want to.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr@unix.sh