List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev]  (2) shmctl problem
From:       "Peter Badovinatz" <wombat () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2001-05-21 17:23:45

David Lee wrote:
     [... Some time later on man page ... ]

     Shared memory segments must be explicitly removed after  the
     last reference to them has been removed.

I confess to having no experience whatsoever of programming shmctl().
But this seems different from the "cool" version on Linux of which the
code currently seems to take advantage.
=======

What this means is that someone MUST do the IPC_RMID to get rid of the
segment.  However, so long as at least one process still has it attached,
the segment will not actually be destroyed.  This is consistent across all
flavors of UNIX, so far as I know, I can't imagine Solaris differing.  This
wording, or some statement to the same effect, is present across all
flavors as well, including Linux.

These have been the opinions of:
Peter R. Badovinatz -- (503)578-5530 (TL 775)
Linux OS Blue, Beaverton, OR
wombat@us.ibm.com
and in no way should be construed as official opinion of IBM, Corp., my
email id notwithstanding.