List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    [Linux-ha-dev] SA/Phoenix(RSCT)/HACMP (was: Re: Availability resource management
From:       TEREKHOV () de ! ibm ! com
Date:       2000-10-12 12:18:59

> David, glad you asked that :-)

Peter, glad you answered that :-)

David,

As Peter pointed out SA is NOT a cluster enabling technology.

SA provides Availability Resource Management function in
both cluster and non-cluster (single system) environments.

On OS/390, SA uses (in Peters terms):

1. XCF for "node/network up and down status info
=A0 (i.e., a heartbeat component)" and "grouping,
=A0 multi-node synchronization (i.e., group services)"

2. MQSeries for "reliable communications"

3. Netview for "resource monitoring/control,
=A0 generalised event delivery (i.e., event management)"

Something like Phoenix(RSCT) or "heartbeat" =A0certainly needs
to provide XCF functionality for SA on Linux.

As for Netview part ("resource monitoring/control,
generalised event delivery (i.e., event management)"),
well, for Linux, we would probably need to provide a) an API
and b) runtime in order to:

a) enable creation of resource specific monitors and
=A0 controllers from scratch;

b) enable reuse of existing monitoring and control
=A0 facilities (scripts, RSCT, Tivoli, CIM, etc..)
=A0 via prepackaged plug-in modules.

This API would serve the same purpose as Microsoft
MSCS (Wolfpack) Resource API. It would be nice to
discuss the API here informally before coming to a decision..

Note that not only SA but other products such as FailSafe,
LifeKeeper, HACMP/Linux, etc.. could benefit from having
a common API.

As for overlap with HACMP, SA and HACMP are two different
approaches to manage resource availability.

IMHO, the strength of SA is in support of SHARE ALL
cluster model (we come from "shared all" Sysplex) versus
SHARE NOTHING model via cross-system dependencies,
grouping, goals and conflict resolution, sophisticated
relationship and failover/failback model and server capacity
(server farm) management.

It would be interesting to know whether you see any value in
those features in a Linux space..

Sure, I understand your confusion related to HACMP and SA
overlap, certainly this and perhaps other questions such as
OpenSource vs. proprietary code need to be clarified.. Please
provide your input and help address those issues in the best
interest of customers, linux-ha community and IBM. Please
understand that, being a developer I am not in position to
comment on these issues..

regards,
alexander.