List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] Browsing Stephen Tweedie's Documents and a few design
From:       Alan Robertson <alanr () suse ! com>
Date:       2000-10-09 21:45:16

Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> On 2000-10-07T01:09:36,
>    Michael Moerz <e9625136@student.tuwien.ac.at> said:
>
> > I have again read the documents of Stephen Tweedie and I think that my
> > idea about the design I was doing is getting more detailed.
> > He is actually proposing a different approach to the resource thing. His
> > suggestion seems to be a name service that knows about the state of each
> > service that is subscribed to it. Actually I don't have any ideas what he
> > thinks that should be done with ip's or similar non service things.
>
> Actually, Stephen's design is totally centered around the idea of a
> Distributed Lock Manager, which as a side effect also serves as a nameservice.
> My personal opinion is that this design is very elegant and flexible.

Stephen's name space is like a hammer.  Once you hold it, everything looks
like a nail:-)  I don't think it's the right tool for this job.  It assumes
that diagnostics are running on a cluster (which may or may not be the
case), and it presumes the existence of a DLM.  Moreover, it the semantics
of resources are MUCH more complex than name/value pairs.  So it is neither
necessary nor sufficient, nor in my view helpful for this particular task.

Nevertheless, it's a nice idea for lots of other things.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr@suse.com