List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] Heartbeat giving up resources on high load
From:       Holger Kiehl <Holger.Kiehl () dwd ! de>
Date:       2000-07-24 19:23:20

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 wombat@us.ibm.com wrote:

> 60 seconds may *not* be all that unreasonable, given certain circumstances,
> from experience on similar systems.  Holger, look at your system especially
> for:

At first I also thought this is a lot, but on second thought, I rather
accept a one minute downtime then risking the possibility of both heartbeat
going away. I think the default deadtime of 10 is a bit low on servers
that do a lot of I/O.

> - paging activity.

I haven't checked this. Next time I will monitor it. But how do I know
what value is a lot of paging activity?

> - interrupt-level processing, e.g., high rate of I/O and/or network
> interrupts.

I am currently only testing and have a very high disk I/O rate (with peaks
of 1600 files/second). Later when these boxes becomes operational these
files will come via the network but at a smaller rate.

> - other fixed-priority processes that may be spinning.
>
> Also, do you have any programs installed that do processing at interrupt
> level?  Sometimes, apps such as firewalls or the like have a tendency to do
> lots of work at interrupt level, wreaking havoc with process scheduling.

None that I know of.

Holger