List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    [Linux-ha-dev] Heartbeat 0.4.7d now on web site
From:       Alan Robertson <alanr () suse ! com>
Date:       2000-06-15 0:59:38

Hi,

We've put a version 0.4.7d of heartbeat up on the web.  It has many new
features.

This includes Luis Claudio R Goncalves' fix to 0.4.7c which kept it from
running at all for him (oops!)

Most prominent among them is probably "nice_failback" from lclaudio.
However, there are *many* other minor and major changes which have gone
into it.   Read the ChangeLog...

 + Made the order of resource takeover more rational:  Takeover is now
    left-to-right, and giveup is right-to-left
  + Changed the default port number to our official IANA port number
	(694)
  + Regularized more messages, eliminated some redundant ones.
  + Print the version of heartbeat when starting.
  + Hosts now have 3 statuses {down, up, active} active means that it
	knows that all its links are operational, and it's safe to send
	cluster messages
  + Significant revisions to nice_failback (mainly due to lclaudio)
  + More SuSE-compatibility. Thanks to Friedrich Lobenstock
	 <fl@fl.priv.at>
  + Tidied up logging so it can be to files, to syslog or both (Horms)
  + Tidied up build process (Horms)
  + Updated ldirectord to produce and install a man page and be
    compatible with the fwmark options to The Linux Virtual Server
	(Horms)
  + Added log rotation for ldirectord and heartbeat using logrotate
    if it is installed
  + Added Audible Alarm resource by Kirk Lawson <lklawson@heapy.com>
    and myself (Horms)
  + Added init script for ldirectord so it can be run independently
    of heartbeat (Horms)
  + Added sample config file for ldirectord (Horms)
  + An empty /etc/ha.d/conf/ is now part of the rpm distribution
    as this is where ldirectord's configuration belongs (Horms)
  + Minor startup script tweaks.  Hopefully, we should be able to make
	core files should we crash in the future.  Thanks to Holger
	 Kiehl for diagnosing the problem!
  + Fixed a bug which kept the "logfile" option from ever working.
  + Added a TestCluster test utility.  Pretty primitive so far...
  + Fixed the serial locking code so that it unlocks when it shuts down.
  + Lock heartbeat into memory, and raise our priority

This also incorporates the brand new version of ldirectord from Jacob
Rief.

The nice_failback code has been very extensively tested - more so than
any previous version of heartbeat.  It was tested with the new
TestCluster tool.

SO... It includes lots of new fixes...  Lots of new features!

Give it a try, and let me know what you think.

Now, on to the API...

I'm aiming for a 0.5 release which is in really good shape, including
the API.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr@suse.com