List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    [Linux-ha-dev] Re: heartbeat die when loading increasing
From:       Alan Robertson <alanr () suse ! com>
Date:       2000-05-15 15:52:43

Alan Cox wrote:

> > The fix to this problem is to lock heartbeat into memory, and raise its
> > priority, so it will always run.  The code to do this is now in version
> > 0.4.7b - a beta release.  If you want to test it, that would be GREAT!
>
> The Linux soft real time makes it more likely, not a guarantee. Actually
> with 2.2 its not too bad but with 2.3.x we are currently seeing some
> 600mS delay cases.

Thanks Alan!

Understood.  The minimum dead time configurable by heartbeat is about 3
sec. I think the default is 5 sec.  Even 600ms should allow this to
function smoothly under most circumstances

If you're going to load your machine that heavily, you might not be able
to run the dead time down to 3 sec.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr@suse.com