List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    [Linux-ha-dev] pl-cluster
From:       Andrew Barnett <andrew () dataclarity ! net>
Date:       2000-01-05 15:43:11

Hello All,
I am not on this list, nor do I follow it, so please bear with me. I
would appreciate it if any replies were CC'd to my email address.

I was not happy with certain things about the heartbeat code provided
through the Linux-HA site, so I wrote my own heartbeat code. Things at
work have forced me to drop the project for the time being, but rather
than let my work go to waste I thought some of it may be salvaged for
other projects. The code can be downloaded at
http://www.dataclarity.com/ (please note .com, not .net).

There are some things my code does better than heartbeat, and some
(most?) things that heartbeat does much better. I chose to use
multicasting -- not as reliable, but allows (theoretically) unlimited
number of nodes. I also wrote everything in C/C++ since I tend not to
like the mess made by calling billions of shell scripts. My code can
run multiple "clusters" in one server process by using threads.
Another nice feature is the ability to run my code in 'listen only'
mode, so cluster activity can be monitored.

Some things to note:
Multicasting must be compiled into the kernel.
Requires pthreads and glib libraries.
There is little/no documentation, read the code.
Code quality is alpha at best, YMMV.

Feel free to rip out useful pieces, the only thing I ask for is a
little credit.

Andrew Barnett                                      PO Box 701
Data Clarity, Inc.                                  Abington, PA 19001
andrew@dataclarity.net                              tel (877)496-3527
http://www.dataclarity.net/                         fax (801)382-1525