List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] Future of /proc/ha
From:       "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct () redhat ! com>
Date:       1999-11-01 12:11:02

Hi,

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:47:38 -0600, Alan Robertson <alanr@bell-labs.com>
said:

>> libdb2 supports journaled updates to the database.

> But, if your filesystem has corrupted your base database file (as
> sometimes happens), then you have made a nightmare out of startup.
> Folks like Oracle spend way more effort on getting this right than I
> ever intend to.

If that can happen then you can lose your text-mode config files too.
Sorry, that argument doesn't convince me. :)

> This can be due to database bugs, application bugs, filesystem bugs,
> fsck bugs, or some combination of the three.

Sure.  You assume that the database software is reliable.  That's why
you use the standard software components rather than rolling your own.
If you have filesystem, fsck or application bugs, then whether your data
is stored in a database or as plain text has absolutely no impact on
your ability to recover --- it's not a valid argument against using a
journaled database.  (If you don't trust libdb2's recovery, then that
_would_ be a valid argument.)

--Stephen