List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] some iSCSITarget meta data issues
From:       Rasto Levrinc <rasto.levrinc () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-27 10:08:47

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Florian Haas <florian@hastexo.com> wrote:
> On 02/27/12 07:38, Rasto Levrinc wrote:
>> I am talking about long shortdescs. E.g.
>>
>> <shortdesc lang="en">Specifies the iSCSI target implementation ("iet",
>> "tgt" or "lio").</shortdesc>
>>
>> is way too long and it abbreviates to something like "Specifies the
>> iSCSI..." in the GUI. You may not care about this, but many people do.
>> So I am not nitpicking or anything, this meta-data happens to be my
>> interface to the resource agents and it used to work quite well in the
>> past. So generally I think that short-description shouldn't encode that
>> they specify something, the name of the resource agent and possible
>> values.
>>
>> <shortdesc lang="en">Implementation</shortdesc>
>>
>> or
>>
>> <shortdesc lang="en">iSCSI target implementation</shortdesc>
>>
>> would be enough in my opinion and it's nothing shameful to have short
>> short-descriptions.
>
> So you're proposing either a shortdesc that's _identical_ to the
> parameter name -- doesn't do a fat lot of good -- or one that contains
> the parameter name plus the string "iSCSI target" which you've been
> complaining about upthread? Does not compute.
>
> Let me suggest that this discussion is getting us nowhere. The

So let me explain some more... :)

> shortdescs stay as they are until someone comes up with a real improvement.

I want them to stay as they were, that I could use them as parameter
descriptions in the GUI. In the "implementation" case it could be that it is
the same as the parameter name, or even "iSCSI Target Implementation" would
fit in, in this case.

I don't mind exception here and there, sometimes there is simply not a short
way to describe something, and you can still see what it is with mouse-over,
but to put there some "speech fillers" for no reason, breaks my usage for no
reason.

I can't use parameter names either, they are usually cryptic unix
abbreviations, lower case with underscores that can't be localized.

If you want to change that short descriptions should be more verbose, I
guess there's nothing I can do, it will be just a small annoyance in couple
of RAs.

Rasto

--
Dipl.-Ing. Rastislav Levrinc