List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] Upstart RA
From:       Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb () novell ! com>
Date:       2010-05-31 14:57:40

On 2010-05-17T08:40:51, Andrew Beekhof <andrew@beekhof.net> wrote:

> > Exit codes weren't implemented since upstart knows a bit more states
> > than just 'running' or 'not running', i.e. it knows distinction between
> > running, but stopping and running.
> Which is still no excuse for them not doing exit codes properly.
> They should have just added a few more not thrown them out and made
> automation that much harder.
>
> I'm pretty sure that internally they're not using regex's to parse the
> state of services :-/

Their wheel is much rounder than alllll the wheels that have come
before! Why bother to get a clue! *argh* Sorry, just ranting.

> > Never the less, it has exit statuses which are machine readable with
> > grep/awk/whatever. Exit codes will be implemented in feature
> > (probably in couple of months).

Maybe it'd be a good idea to delay the integration here until there's a
usable ABI, if that is slated to be changed anyway?

I also don't quite understand why the existing concept couldn't be
extended; either by extending LSB or OCF specs, allowing a seamless and
more fine-grained migration instead of kludgy wrappers. Sigh. Some
people do things that make it REALLY hard to retain the resemblance of a
constructive reply.

> > dbus isn't installed by default on ubuntu server and probably it
> > isn't installed on other server distributions (correct me if I'm
> > wrong). Would depending on dbus be a problem
> I think I'd not make it a strict dependency, and instead make sure the
> RA checked for dbus and produced OCF_NOT_INSTALLED if it wasn't
> available.

dbus is available on SLE*, of course.

> Being a plugin is probably a better solution in the long term though,
> since then we might be able to take advantage of the upstart events.
> It also uses 0.00001% fewer characters to configure too I guess :-)

It would, first and foremost, allow a much easier configuration indeed -
such as the ability to extract meta-data or display a list of RAs to
users.

A shell wrapper for upstart really doesn't strike me as a good idea,
instead they should be made a RA class in the lrmd.

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA, OPS Engineering, Novell, Inc.