List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] Announcement: new release for cluster-glue
From:       Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb () suse ! de>
Date:       2010-04-16 11:26:17

On 2010-04-16T11:48:35, Lars Ellenberg <lars.ellenberg@linbit.com> wrote:

> We may add the functionality back, in case anyone actually needs it.

We need it for ACL support in pacemaker.

> But certainly not breaking backwards ABI compatibility, if not
> absolutely necessary. Which it is not for this thing.

Well, yes, breaking ABI compatibility while keeping the soname was
definitely a bug.

> Question is: is this functionality actually going to be used,
> or was it an experimental proof of concept but the CIB ACLs
> will be implemented without them anyways?

It will be used. And for internal reasons, we have a very strong need to
get the ABI sorted now, not in a few weeks.

What is the alternative to incrementing the soname? It's a really
trivial change, is it not?

For a libglue1 update to take effect, the admin needs to restart
pacemaker et al anyway, so there's no real operational penalty to having
to install consistent build packages for these too; the node is
restarting already.

I understand that you seem to favor a new connection type value; what
would that back-end implementation look like?

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA, OPS Engineering, Novell, Inc.