List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] IPaddr2 gives a spurious warning on stop
From:       Alan Robertson <alanr () unix ! sh>
Date:       2007-03-08 18:14:41

Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On 3/7/07, Alan Robertson <alanr@unix.sh> wrote:
>> Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

>> Someone
>> >
>> > What's broken? Any critical issues?
>>
>> The parsing of options only works if you always specify the options in a
>> sort of undocumented hierarchy order.  In R1, this might have existed,
>> but it was more obvious.
>>
>> And, in the process of trying but failing to fix this, the parsing in
>> findif was made more complicated (and incorrect).
>>
>> Describing exactly what the broken code will do in various circumstances
>> is hard - but trust me it's broken.
>>
>> A simple example:
>> If I specify an IP address and an interface ONLY, it won't work - even
>> though findif is designed to work nicely in that case.
>
> i saw your change (a nice improvement)...

Thank you!  I'd thought about doing it before, but I was in the middle
of a release when I discovered it, and kind of forgot about it...

> would it be a good idea to
> pass those values in as options (ie. -b bcast, -m mask, -n nic)?
>
> that way its still flexible, but also usable from the command-line...

You can always put them on the command line -- ahead of the command
name, which is what I did to test it.  I confess I wasn't sufficiently
motivated to do what you suggested - but I wouldn't be against it.

The nice thing about not putting this in some 'bin' directory somewhere
is that I don't feel obligated to make it easy for users to use, nor to
keep the interface the same :-D.  Not that I'm against either - but I
have bigger fish to fry in my life...

--
    Alan Robertson <alanr@unix.sh>

Wilberforce