List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] linux-ha cluster profiling functionality
From:       James Pan <jmltc () cn ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2005-12-30 7:34:43

Alan Robertson wrote:

> James Pan wrote:
>

>> Perhaps the profiling functionality will be useful.
>> Tthe profiling may do something like performance analysis,  data
>> statistic such as resource downtime statistic,
>

> Keeping resource availability and other things like it is a good idea.

Did not understand your meaning:(

>> resource transfer statistic, system activities trace, etc.
>> These may give the users a complete image about the cluster, based on
>> which the users are able to find out the
>> bottleneck of the cluster on the aspect of HA and configure their
>> cluster more appropriately in further,
>> especially for a large scale cluster.  And it can help us improve the
>> software's performance as well.
>

> If we're using >= 1% of the resources, we're taking too much...

The profiling machanism ont only take care of linux-ha itself, but also
the applications(resources) that running
on the cluster.
for example,  a user run linux-ha on machine a and machine b, the
profiling may tell the user that
a certain application(say, apache) has more unavailable time on machine
a than on machine b. so this
application should be bound to machine a.  Or, the profiling may dectet
two applications running on a same
node interfere with each other badly, which result in one application
unavailable in fact. ...

just some primitive thoughts. perhaps this functionality is only useful
in a large scale, busy cluster. or not
useful at all:)

--
JMP - James Pan