List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    [Linux-ha-dev] BEAM complaints in bugzilla
From:       Alan Robertson <alanr () unix ! sh>
Date:       2004-09-29 0:28:47

Hi,

I just dropped a whole bunch of BEAM complaints into Bugzilla today.

So, someone asked me what is BEAM?

BEAM is a program verifier written by IBM.  Instead of trying to prove your
program correct, it tries to prove it incorrect (which turns out to be a
more tractable problem computationally).

So, most of the things it complains about are probably real bugs.

But, perhaps some aren't.

If you have any question about whether a particular bug is real or not,
please email me, and we'll figure it out.

But, most of them, it's obvious that the complaints are real.

The nice thing about this is that it's easy to get BEAM to stop complaining
about specific things.

As time goes on, I'm going to teach it more things about our software, and
as I do, new complaints will likely come up.

But, my goal is to fix EVERY SINGLE complaint.  And, I'm going to keep
issuing bugzilla bugs for each complaint every week or so until people
resolve them.

  I cannot provide it to anyone outside IBM due to legal issues.  But, I
can run it on demand for any version in CVS very easily.  It takes about 10
times as long to run code through BEAM as it does to compile it.
--
     Alan Robertson <alanr@unix.sh>

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship...  Let me claim
from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce